Sunday, June 24, 2007

THIEF - Finished!

I finished THIEF WITH NO SHADOW this morning.

The ending was understated, yet I would not call it subtle. I kept expecting the story to lead one place when it lead in another place instead. There were some things that were obvious to me that the characters should have thought of, but did not. For example, Melke should have used the salamander scat to disguise her scent, rather than pungent oils. That way, they never would have known she was there.

I expected the salamanders to bestow a curse of their own. But a certain sacrifice prevented that from happening.

The romance at the end was definitely forced. It might have been better for the author to allow a little time to pass before trying to force the romance in there. It would have been even better if Melke and Bastian could have had more of a rapport established earlier in the story.

However, I loved the story. It was completely different and wholly new. I don't think a sword was drawn throughout the entire book. Yet, there was plenty of magic and tension and conflict and horrible consequences for failure. I didn't want to put the book down, and I love it when authors do that to me.

I'll try to put up a post about the book as a whole by tomorrow night.

4 comments:

Kimber Li said...

Excellent review, Tia!

I must confess though, none of these novels interest me. Only Lisa Sheerin's MAGIC LOST, TROUBLE FOUND. This has me a little baffled, since none of the other novels have anything in them which usually annoys me about too many Fantasy novels.

Sometimes, there really is no obvious reason why one novel is 'not my cup of tea' while another one is. (cue the rolling of eyes here)

Anonymous said...

Thank you, Kimber An!! ; )

Lisa

Tia Nevitt said...

Kimber, since you liked MAGIC LOST, TROUBLE FOUND, you would probably like KARMA GIRL, which I am reading now. More to come on that!

Kimber Li said...

Cool! I'll follow your reviews on Karma Girl then.
;)

You're welcome, Lisa. Good books mean a lot to us!