Thursday, June 14, 2007

MLTF - The Big Conflict

Long ago, I read that a good story plunges the hero against "almost insuperable odds". Shearin has mastered this advice. Her story may be light, but what Raine faces is not. It was a good dash of sobriety, yet still she maintains her lighthearted tone.

It reminded me of the First Crusade. During the First Crusade, the crusaders found this spear that grew to be a legend. It was said to be the spear that had pierced the side of Christ. The legend grew and the crusaders went absolutely bananas over it. Why? Study your history, because I don't want to give too much of the plot away. (I'll give you a hint. The spear was found in Antioch.)

Raine doesn't just have one enemy. Her enemies seem to be everyone who wants to find a similar artifact. But Shearin doesn't stop there. She raised the stakes by throwing in a good way of compelling Raine to help one of the artifact-seekers. And, she added a new mysterious man!

6 comments:

Lisa Shearin said...

I believe the new mystery man Tia mentioned is Prince Chigaru Mal'Salin -- another gorgeous goblin who is also after the amulet around Raine's neck. Brief description: "Our host stood before the fireplace. He was a tall goblin, his beautiful face a carefully emotionless mask. Except for its blue black shimmer, his waist-length hair was unadorned. His eyes were dark and intense, with hardly any white exposed. He took a breath and a forced calm settled over him. I wasn't fooled. I knew exactly who he was. Prince Chigaru Mal'Salin may be a fugitive on the run from his brother. . .and he could certainly afford the muscle that had brought us here and now loomed directly behind us."

Tia Nevitt said...

Bingo! I like him -- even if I really question the heck out of his motives.

Lisa Shearin said...

Raine questions Prince Chigaru's motives big time -- and he gives her plenty of reasons. Members of the Mal'Salin royal family only look out for themselves -- except when it's more politically advantageous (or profitable) to do otherwise.

Kimber Li said...

Ahhhh! Thank goodness I finally finished my Timothy Zahn novel and can start Lisa's book today. This is making me crazy!

Tia Nevitt said...

Lisa, I'm hoping Chigaru will prove to be an exception. But then again, he would be an ideal betrayer.

Kimber, I am so glad I can contribute to your craziness!!

Talk about crazy. I was blogging at work! Am I nuts? I have a great job with a great boss . . . but I don't want to push it. So I waited for my lunch break to respond.

L. A. Green said...

I'm really enjoying your progressive review, Tia. Can't wait to get my hands on my copy of MLTF.

Thanks for adding The Toasted Scimitar (a Fantasy pub) to your list of links. :)