Wednesday, June 13, 2007

New Fantasy Debuts

Locus Magazine had an entry last week in their Monitor: New Books section about Jennifer Estep's Karma Girl, but it seems more like a paranormal romance, so it may be a bit out of my realm of expertise. The reason for my reluctance? Well, with Magic Lost, Trouble Found, I have enough of a background in fantasy to get a kick out of magical containment boxes and to appreciate the freshness of a sexy goblin. Were I to suddenly jump into paranormal romances, I would not have that sort of insight. However, it looks like a fun book, so I wanted to give it a mention.

Appearing on this week's entry is Lane Robins's Maledicte, a dark fantasy with a soul-selling protagonist.

I've been watching the Monitor section for several months now, and there is almost always a debut author listed in their weekly New Books section. In fact, I may be missing some, because last week's Monitor mentioned Magic Lost, Trouble Found, but did not identify Lisa Shearin as a debut novelist.

4 comments:

Susan Helene Gottfried said...

I loved Karma Girl, but no, it's not really fantasy. Not in a traditional sense. It's not really paranormal, either, *I'd* say, but if it's not paranormal, what is it?

Cartoonish, and I mean that in a really good way. This book takes the idea of a comic book superhero and drops it into an alternate universe that makes sense.

If you love Wonder Woman, you'll love Karma Girl. It's really that simple.

But if you don't read comics, you may not get the fun and the brilliance of Estep's world-building.

Tia Nevitt said...

I have read a lot of comic books, such as the X-Men and Spider-Man, but nothing recently. And I loved the Incredibles.

Anonymous said...

Karma Girl is sort of hard to describe. It's categorized as paranormal romance, but it has an almost chick-lit tone. And there's lot of action and lots of stuff blows up. :)

Basically, it's a comic book for women. I hope you'll give it a try.

Tia Nevitt said...

Comic books I can do. I read the first chapter and it looks fun. I look forward to reading it!