Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Tia's Bio

Here is my rather long-winded bio, written up pretentiously in third person.

~*~

Tia Nevitt first became interested in fantasy through fairy tales and the sweetest Cinderella production ever made, starring Leslie Ann Warren. The first true fantasy she ever read was T. H. White's The Once and Future King, which she read half a dozen times by 1986. The next fantasy she picked up was Weis & Hickman's Dragonlance, then she undertook the obligatory reading of The Lord of the Rings. From that point on, she preferred fantasy to all other genres.

By the time she had read White's novel about a dozen times, Tia decided to try this writing thing for herself. Three novels later, and she's still at it.

Tia--who loves writing about herself in the third person because it makes her feel almost royal--would have hesitated to mention this whole messy novel-writing thing if it had not been responsible for her fixation on debuts. In short, she started wondering what might have gotten them out of the slush pile. The book that started it all was probably Sheepfarmer's Daughter, the first book in the Deed of Paksenarrion trilogy by Elizabeth Moon. She looked for and read other first novels of authors like J. V. Jones, Elizabeth Haydon and Deborah Chester.

Then, one day in the spring of 2007, Tia got the idea for Fantasy Debut. Before this, Tia was completely absent from the whole book blogging scene. She had never even heard of the venerable Pat, or of a place called Neth Space, and they had certainly never heard of her. She never dreamed that publishers actually took notice of book blogs, or that they sent bloggers Advance Reader Copies. She realizes that she may have committed a faux pas or two, but she hopes that she has not embarrassed herself too much in her ignorance.

Now if she can only find time to write.

~*~

I try to glance at these places at least once, daily.

Facebook
GoodReads
Twitter
Dragon Federation (blogger hangout)
Book Blogger Convention

8 comments:

John Ottinger III (Grasping for the Wind) said...

Well written! I hope you can sell your novels, I'd be interested to read them. If your fiction style is anything like your nonfiction style, they would be very pleasant to read.

Now I should retool my bio...

Kimber Li said...

Oh, I think you're doing a stellar job, Tia. Keep it up! I wonder if I should write a bio?

Robert said...

Nice!

Tia Nevitt said...

Wow; thanks, everyone!

Kimber Li said...

Hey, I just posted a review of ARMED & MAGICAL on my review blog!

enduringromance.blogspot.com

When's yours going up?

Carole McDonnell said...

Slyly wry. I liked it. I hope Tia knows she has really been a blessing to all of us out here who like to keep up with the latest fantasy debuts. -C

Tia Nevitt said...

Kimber, I'm planning to post mine the day it comes out. I want to have some hoopla beforehand, too. I'll check out your post tonight!

Thanks, Carole.

Unknown said...

Tia-
I want to thank you for noticing Apricot Brandy. When you do get the chance to read it, hope that you enjoy it. I love finding a reviewer with the background that you have. My first fantasy loves were: Clark Ashton Smith, Lord Dunsany and Merritt, Mary Wilkins Freeman. It helps me to have accomplished writers highlighted. Thanks
Lynn Cesar