Sunday, November 11, 2007

ONCE BITTEN, TWICE SHY by Jennifer Rardin

As part of my debut research, I typically go to the Amazon.com book page and click on the author link to make sure the author that I'm researching is really a debut. When I clicked on Jennifer Rardin's name, my eyebrows rose since four books were listed. A closer look at the pub dates explained the mystery: they all release by the end of the summer in 2008! Starting last month!

Yes, I'm about a month late in announcing ONCE BITTEN, TWICE SHY (US, UK, Canada), and it was Katie's review that alerted me to the fact that I missed it. However, I neglected to put it on my debut calendar, and it kept popping up on other book blogger posts, so by now I'm quite embarrassed.

I'm Jaz Parks. My boss is Vayl, born in Romania in 1744. Died there too, at the hand of his vampire wife, Liliana. But that's ancient history. For the moment Vayl works for the C.I.A. doing what he does best--assassination. And I help. You could say I'm an Assistant Assassin. But then I'd have to kick your ass.Our current assignment seemed easy. Get close to a Miami plastic surgeon named Assan, a charmer with ties to terrorism that run deeper than a buried body. Find out what he's meeting with that can help him and his comrades bring America to her knees. And then close his beady little eyes forever. Why is it that nothing's ever as easy as it seems?

The author has a gizmo that I thought I'd try here:



Cool! It worked. I gotta say that I love the cover. An ammo clip filled with pencils? Or are they tiny stakes? Whatever -- it's hilarious. And I don't even read vampire novels. Could I have found an exception?

On to business. The author's website is cleverly designed as a blog, but with extra pages. For the excerpt, just click on the "Browse Inside" button on the gizmo above. The reviews by my fellow bloggers that I referred to are at Graeme's and SciFiChick. I also found a review at Darque Reviews and Love Vampires. (I'm adding both of these blogs to my blogroll, since I've linked to them in the past.)

6 comments:

Katie said...

Thanks for the link! :) I really loved that book. Lots of fun :)

Tia Nevitt said...

It looks it! And I was quite impressed that the publisher is publishing four books by a new author in less than a year. It sounds like they knew they had something special.

Anonymous said...

There seem to be a lot of vampire debuts lately. Tia, are there any sample chapters up online for this one?

Tia Nevitt said...

Only through that gizmo that I posted. If you click the Excerpt button, you will be able to scroll through the book (or at least the excerpt).

Anonymous said...

Oh, I see that now and I feel stupid. It didn't load for me the first time. so I didn't know what it was.

Tia Nevitt said...

Don't feel stupid; I figured there was a malfunction.