Friday, November 30, 2007

Debut Award News and Sundry Shout-Outs

The Border's 2007 Original Voices Awards includes several names that have come up on Fantasy Debut, and one that probably should have come up..

Patrick Rothfuss's The Name of the Wind made the Fiction list. Melissa Marr's Wicked, Lovely made the Young Adult list.

Things have been going well for both Rothfuss and Marr. I have already mentioned other awards for them in a previous post. Embarrassingly, I have not read either book. I keep meaning to pick up Wicked, Lovely and I'm really, really going to try to get it this weekend. I think I'll bring my camera to the bookstore and try to get some Bookshelf Action Shots of recent debuts.

Marr has a list of recent reviews and recognition for her novel here.

Elsewhere, I have recently shared the following posts on my Other Debut Coverage sidebar:

Over at Of Science Fiction, TexasBoyBlue has "finally" finished another award-winning novel, Acacia, by David Anthony Durham.

Adian has finished reading The Book of Joby by Mark J. Ferrari, and he loved it.

Over at Bookgasm, Mark Rose liked The Sword-Edged Blonde, but thought the title was ridiculous.

Darque Reviews has reviewed the second book in the Jaz Parks series, Another One Bites the Dust. Because of the rapidity in which Orbit is releasing these novels, Jennifer Rardin is already a debut graduate!

And I just saw this at the Swivet. UK debut Gods Behaving Badly by Marie Phillips has been "optioned" to be developed as a TV series. I'm not a publishing person, so I can only guess at what the verb "to option" means, but I'm assuming that this is one day going to be on TV.

1 comment:

SQT said...

I really liked "Name of the Wind." I have begun "Acacia" but seem to keep getting interupted. It's too deep not to give it my full attention so I think I'm going to have to re-read the first portion to really appreciate it.