Sunday, January 20, 2008

New Debut - I HEART YOU, YOU HAUNT ME by Lisa Schroeder

I HEART YOU, YOU HAUNT ME (Amazon USA, UK, Canada)
Lisa Schroeder (website, blog, MySpace, ClassOf2K8 page)
Book Trailer!
Simon and Schuster
Trade Paperback

Blurb:

Girl meets boy.
Girl loses boy.
Girl gets boy back...
...sort of.

Ava can't see or touch him,
unless she's dreaming.
She can't hear his voice,
except for the faint whispers in her mind.
Most would think she's crazy, but she knows he's here.

Jackson.
The boy Ava thought she'd spend the rest of her life with.
He's back from the dead,
as proof that love truly knows no bounds.
I wish the blurb were more detailed, but maybe it doesn't have to be. Right away, I'm wondering why Jackson is dead, and why he does not rest in peace. I do love the cover. Also, I cannot find an excerpt except a very short one, which you can find on the author's Class of 2K8 page. The entire novel is apparently written in verse! Here is a review.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's in verse? Hmm. That wouldn't make me not read it, but I'd be afraid it would come across as too self-conscious and take me out of the story.

I wonder what the story is. The blurb only gives the setup.

Tia Nevitt said...

I thought it was a very risky thing for the author to do, but I'm glad she succeeded. The reviews look good, so maybe this will herald the return of the epic poem! (Do you think our society is ready for that??)

PJ Hoover said...

The short snippet is intriguing. I haven't read it yet, but it's second in my stack! And I've never read a novel in verse before, so I'm curious about how exactly it's done!
Thanks for the Class of 2k8 mention!

Robert said...

Haven't heard of this one, so thanks! Ironically, the book review I just posted was of a verse novel...

M.P. Barker said...

Definitely don't be put off by the verse format--it works beautifully. It's not corny Hallmark-greeting-card-type verse. The language is spare and beautiful at the same time, and not at all self-conscious. The verse form makes each word, each phrase count--and each is perfectly chosen to bring the characters across and heighten the emotional tension. My only complaint? A sleepless night because I HAD to finish the book RIGHT AWAY--it's that good.

Great job, Lisa!

M.P. Barker
A DIFFICULT BOY
Holiday House, April, 2008
www.mpbarker.net
www.classof2k8.com

Tia Nevitt said...

And now, of course, I'm dying to interview the author.