Monday, January 28, 2008

THE LIAR'S DIARY by Patry Francis

THE LIAR'S DIARY (Amazon USA, UK, Canada)
Patry Francis (website, blog)
Book Trailer
Dutton Adult (Penguin Group)
Hardcover

Blurb:
Answering the question of what is more powerful—family or friendship? this debut novel unforgettably shows how far one woman would go to protect either.

They couldn’t be more different, but they form a friendship that will alter both their fates. When Ali Mather blows into town, breaking all the rules and breaking hearts (despite the fact that she is pushing forty), she also makes a mark on an unlikely family. Almost against her will, Jeanne Cross feels drawn to this strangely vibrant woman, a fascination that begins to infect Jeanne’s “perfect” husband as well as their teenaged son.

At the heart of the friendship between Ali and Jeanne are deep-seated emotional needs, vulnerabilities they have each been recording in their diaries. Ali also senses another kind of vulnerability; she believes someone has been entering her house when she is not at home—and not with the usual intentions. What this burglar wants is nothing less than a piece of Ali’s soul.

When a murderer strikes and Jeanne’s son is arrested, we learn that the key to the crime lies in the diaries of two very different women . . . but only one of them is telling the truth. A chilling tour of troubled minds, The Liar’s Diary signals the launch of an immensely talented new novelist who knows just how to keep her readers guessing.

This is a thriller. Normally, I don't cover thrillers unless they have a supernatural aspect, but I learned about Patry Francis Day through this site, and I thought I'd participate by doing my usual sort of debut announcement for the author. I think the book looks great and I hope the author makes a full recovery.

2 comments:

Laura Benedict said...

It's a terrific book, Tia--I can't recommend it highly enough. The psychological tension is wire-tight.

If any readers want to drop by my Notes From the Handbasket blog today, they might win a copy of The Liar's Diary in a totally subjective, judged-by-an-eight-year-old non-contest!

I'm so glad you're a part of Patry's blog day!

Tia Nevitt said...

I guess I'll be high-tailing it over there to see if I can't win myself a copy.