Tuesday, July 31, 2007

WICKED, LOVELY - First Chapter

I read the first chapter to WICKED, LOVELY by Melissa Marr several weeks ago, so here's a quick post on it. After a short prologue, the first chapter begins with a girl and a boy playing pool. Seems ordinary enough -- almost boring. However, as they play, faeries torment them. They are unseen by most people. However, Aislinn can see them. And she must never let on, otherwise they will make her life miserable.

Then she felt it: warm air on her skin. A faery, its too-hot breath on her neck, sniffed her hair. His pointed chin pressed against her skin. All the focus in the world didn’t make Pointy-Face's attention tolerable.

I'm not crazy about authors referring to nameless characters in this manner; I find it rather distracting. However, I can ignore it, because the story gets more gripping with every page. Pretty soon, Aislinn finds herself being pursued by three faeries, a boy, a girl and a wolf. When the boy takes a human guise, Aislinn is not fooled. He speaks to her, but she rebuffs him. The chapter ends on a chilling note that begs the reader to turn the page. It really is very well done.

4 comments:

Tia Nevitt said...

Looks like I got my first comment spam. I'm going to try to zap it.

Tia Nevitt said...

Mission successful!

Kristy Baxter said...

Ooh, the book sounds intriguing. I can't wait to read more!

Tia Nevitt said...

I still haven't quite decided on which novel to feature next . . . but this one is tempting!