Wednesday, July 11, 2007

ACACIA - Cringeworthy Moments

How do you take an unappealing character and put the reader firmly on his side? Humiliate him.

I generally don't like princes and princesses in fantasy novels; I think there are entirely too many of them. However, I recognize that princes and princesses would be the natural movers and shakers of any medieval world. When this particular prince was introduced, I didn't like him much. He seemed arrogant and petty. However, after he got thoroughly trounced in a sparring match that he instigated, I found myself thoroughly on his side, mostly because he was angry at himself more than at his opponent. It told me that he does have a core of decency.

Unfortunatley, I was unable to finish the chapter before I had to rush off to work. Don't you hate that?

2 comments:

Jim Melvin said...

I hate that I never seem to have the time to do as much reading as I would like. I have a brand-new copy of Acacia, but have not had the chance yet to read it because I have so many other books demanding my attention. It seems the more I write, the less I read. How can it be otherwise?

Tia Nevitt said...

It's that whole pesky 24 hours-in-a-day thing. Maybe you can read along with me. It won't be difficult, since I read rather slowly.