Sunday, February 8, 2009

The Magicians & Mrs. Quent

The Magicians and Mrs. Quent (Amazon USA - Canada - UK)
By Galen Beckett (website)
Spectra (July 29, 2008) (Hardcover)
Excerpt

Publisher's Blurb:
Of the three Lockwell sisters—romantic Lily, prophetic Rose, and studious Ivy—all agree that it’s the eldest, the book-loving Ivy, who has held the family together ever since their father’s retreat into his silent vigil in the library upstairs. Everyone blames Mr. Lockwell’s malady on his magkical studies, but Ivy alone still believes—both in magick, and in its power to bring her father back.

But there are others in the world who believe in magick as well. Over the years Ivy has glimpsed them—the strangers in black topcoats and hats who appear at the door, strangers of whom their mother will never speak. Ivy once thought them secret benefactors, but now she’s not so certain.

After tragedy strikes, Ivy takes a job with the reclusive Mr. Quent in a desperate effort to preserve her family. It’s only then that she discovers the fate she shares with a jaded young nobleman named Dashton Rafferdy, his ambitious friend Eldyn Garritt, and a secret web of highwaymen, revolutionaries, illusionists, and spies who populate the island nation of Altania.

For there is far more to Altania than meets the eye, and more to magick than mere fashion. And in the act of saving her father, Ivy will determine whether the world faces a new dawn—or an everlasting night....

Tia's Take: Oh my goodness! How did I miss this one? I remember taking note of it last July, but then I forgot it entirely. Never mind that it's quite up my alley. It begins like this:
IT WAS GENERALLY held knowledge among the people who lived on Whitward Street that the eldest of the three Miss Lockwells had a peculiar habit of reading while walking.
Does this sound familiar? Anyone? Anyone? Yes, it's a Jane Austen-inspired fantasy! (Did I mention that I have written a Jane Austen-inspired fantasy? No, I have not.) I will be obtaining this novel, by fair means or foul.

Mulluane's Take:
Oh my! Tackles Tia and tussles over the book.... This one is right up my ally too. Secondary world, strong female protagonists, secret societies, magic, what is not to love about that!

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

On a sidenote:
Galen Becket is a pseudonym for Mark Anthony, who wrote the "Last Rune" series.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mark_Anthony_(writer)

Tia Nevitt said...

Thanks for the info! This isn't the first author who sneaked in a "debut" on me under a different name. I did the same thing with Morgan Howell last year.

(Not that I'm implying that Mr. Beckett did anything underhanded. I doubt he knows I exist!)

Anonymous said...

According to his old website (the Mark Antohny one) he was forbidden to reveal his new writer name by his publisher, until the book is actually out.

Since the "Last Rune" and this book are really different, it kind of makes sense to use another name.

Anyway - Sounds very interesting and i hope it will be translated to german asap. :)

(A german "Last Rune" fan)

Anonymous said...

Oh hey, this sounds right up my alley. I'll look forward to checking it out. :)

Tia Nevitt said...

It's so up my alley that I don't care that it isn't a "technical" debut. It's at my library, but is currently checked out. I'll have to place a hold on it as soon as I finish the novel I'm reading.

Maria said...

Ha! Strangely this one isn't up my alley at all. Makes me laugh. Most of the books you feature here sound very much like my thing. Then every once in a while, there's one that doesn't. Just the way it goes!

Raven said...

This one sounds interesting to me too. I like Jane Austen and I like fantasy, so...

Tia Nevitt said...

Is it any surprise that we have QUITE a collection of Jane Austen-loving fantasy fans? I suppose not, since you all read my blog. Like attracts like!

Raven, I did NOT expect you to be a Jane Austen fan with your aversion to romance! Maybe it's the modern stuff that doesn't appeal to you?

Raven said...

Tia, I'm not sure how I can like Jane Austen and dislike romances at the same time. I do have to say I don't mind a love story subplot as long as it's treated realistically, arises naturally, isn't formulaic, isn't all roses all the time, and doesn't result in one or both of the parties involved abandoning all logic, reason and professionalism and instead showing all the emotional maturity of a 12-year-old at best. I think Jane Austen generally meets all those criteria.

I did want Fanny Price to step out of her safe little shell and marry Henry Crawford, though.

I also have to admit I haven't read all the books, although I've seen most of the movies.

Raven said...

Oh, and I can't stress "subplot" enough. I realize Jane Austen's romances aren't really subplots, though. I guess I'm contradictory at times. :D

shaunesay said...

I'm glad to see this, I've looked at this one several times as it sounded good! I always used to read while walking home from school, I still walk on my treadmill, which just seems to amaze people, I don't know why. lol!

Tia Nevitt said...

I loved reading on the treadmill . . . when I used to actually use one.

Raven, that novel had me on the edge! I wanted the power of Fanny to make Henry truly good. That's the only Jane Austen novel that disappointed me. It was such a . . . safe ending.

Anonymous said...

How cool! I am totally going to read this one. Thanks!

Tia Nevitt said...

Wench, I looked for it in the bookstore, but couldn't find it. Might be time to try those "foul" means I mentioned. . . .

Anonymous said...

Liked everything except the Jane Austen bits. :-) I know its a genre trope, but the young woman who goes to a secluded location to work for a dark, mysterious man the same age as her father and then falls in love with him thing... not my bag.