Sunday, February 1, 2009

Debut Showcase: Bones of Faerie by Janni Lee Simner

Bones of Faerie (US - Canada - UK)
By Janni Lee Simner (Website - Blog - MySpace - Facebook - Goodreads)
Publisher: Random House Books for Young Readers (January 27, 2009)
Reading level: Young Adult
Hardcover: 256 pages
Excerpt

Blurb from Author's Website:
The war between humanity and Faerie devastated both sides. Or so fifteen-year-old Liza has been told. Nothing has been seen or heard from Faerie since, and Liza's world bears the scars of its encounter with magic. Corn resists being harvested; dandelions have thorns. Trees move with sinister intention, and the town Liza calls home is surrounded by a forest that threatens to harm all those who wander into it. Still Liza feels safe. Her father is strong and has protected their town by laying down strict rules. Among them: Any trace of magic must be destroyed, no matter where it is found.

Then Liza's sister is born with faerie-pale hair, clear as glass, and Liza's father leaves the baby on a hillside to die. When her mother disappears into the forest and Liza herself discovers she has the faerie ability to see --into the past, into the future--she has no choice but to flee. Liza's quest will take her into Faerie and back again, and what she finds along the way may be the key to healing both worlds.

Mulluane's Take:
This one almost tempts me to change my tastes in reading, even though it is a post-apocalyptic tale and urban fantasy. (The story takes place in St. Louis). This is a dark story with fairytale elements, magic dropping planes out the sky and evil trees. This reviewer seemed to love it! KidLiterate.

Tia's Take:
Nothing in the blurb would lead me to believe that this is a modern-day urban fantasy. I love post-apocalyptic fiction--as long as it isn't too gritty--so this may be one that I pursue. I especially like the idea of the apocalypse being caused by magical fallout, rather than nuclear or biological. The author is a borderline debut--this is her first YA fantasy. She has written children's novels. I'm pretty much a sucker for YA, so this novel has a lot to interest me.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The title caught my attention but it was the discription that hooked me. Okay the discription and the fact that it's YA. Even though I don't write YA, I've noticed I enjoy more fantasy geared toward YA, than adults. Less gritty/ubertough one liners. : ) I will read this book.