Sunday, February 15, 2009

Debut Showcase: Heart of the Ronin by Travis Heermann

Heart of the Ronin (US - Canada - UK)
By Travis Heermann (Website - Blog - - Trailer - Writeline)
Publisher: Five Star (ME)
Release date: February 18, 2009
Hardcover: 442 pages
Excerpt

Publisher's Blurb:
Thirteenth-century Japan is a dangerous place. Shape-changing animals and bloodthirsty demons can be as unpleasant as a gang of bandits. Ken'ishi - a young, idealistic warrior with his father's mysterious sword on his hip and a wise, sarcastic dog at his side - dreams only of being samurai. Little does he suspect the agony and glory that await him when his dreams come true.

When Ken'ishi saves a beautiful, noble maiden from a pack of bandits, he becomes embroiled in the intrigues of samurai lords, Mongol spies, and a crime boss known as Green Tiger. But Ken'ishi has a few secret weapons. If only he knew more about his mysterious past, his parents' murder, and the sword that seems to want to talk to him. . . .

Mulluane's Take:
I want it! Alternate history, sarcastic dogs, talking swords and set in Japan! FINALLY! A debut that has my name written all over it. This is part one of a three part epic tale (and we know how much I hate series right?), and one I'd love to get my hands on. There is a great review here: Fantasy Book Critic.

Tia's Take:
I have to admit I like the sound of this one as well. I haven't read a Japan-based novel since I read Shogun about ten years ago. I adore novels that can take me into a completely different culture, and it's all the better if the culture is real-world. This novel officially releases on Tuesday.

8 comments:

Kimber Li said...

Oh! Oh! Send me an ARC too!

SparklingBlue said...

I've always had a fascination with Asian culture and history, and this looks interesting.

Tia Nevitt said...

It's just such an interesting contrast to our own culture, I suppose. I went to India once, and I look back on my trip with many fond memories.

Kimber Li said...

Well, my ARC's on the way. When you getting yours?
:)

Thea said...

This sounds fantastic! Hmm. I'll have to try to find this novel. It sounds a bit like the Tales of the Otori books, which I love. Thanks for the heads up, ladies!

Todd Newton said...

Sounds super-interesting. Some of my favorite books are the M:TG cycle set in the Japan-like world (kami everywhere) that I can't remember the name of, back when I used to play M:TG. All 3 novels were fantastic, led to me getting my first tattoo (though it wasn't the symbol for "iceberg" which I originally wanted).

Anyway, I had to bookmark this so I could read the excerpt later!

J.T. said...

WHEN did you start this blog?? And why did you not tell me? And this book DOES look interesting.

Tia Nevitt said...

I started this blog in June of 07. And I told as much of the world that I could at that time!

As for this book, it does look interesting, but of the books I've featured lately, none has been so interesting as The Magicians and Mrs. Quent. So I think I'll go for that one.