Monday, February 2, 2009

Debut Showcase: Spiral Hunt by Margaret Ronald

Spiral Hunt (US - Canada - UK)
By Margaret Ronald (Blog - Writertopia)
Publisher: Eos (January 27, 2009)
Mass Market Paperback: 320 pages
Excerpt

Publisher's Blurb:

Some people have the Sight. Genevieve Scelan has the Scent.

They call her "Hound," and with her unique supernatural sense Evie can track nearly anything—lost keys, vanished family heirlooms . . . even missing people. And though she knows to stay out of the magical undercurrent that runs beneath Boston's historic streets, a midnight phone call from a long-vanished lover will destroy the careful boundaries she has drawn. Now, to pay a years-old debt, Evie must venture into the shadowy world that lies between myth and reality, where she will find betrayal, conspiracies, and revelations that will shatter all she believes about herself and the city she claims as home.

When the Hunt is on, the Hound must run . . .

Mulluane's Take:

This is an Urban Fantasy set in Boston with mystery, a magic using female PI, Celtic gods and other historical Irish figures. Oh Tia is going to LOVE this one! This review My Favorite Author calls it "fun, frightening and all over fascinating." I'm betting this one goes on Tia's TBR list even if it is Urban Fantasy.

Tia's Take:
Mulluane knows me well. It does look pretty interesting, but mostly because the originality of her gift. No vampires! At least not that I could find. Am I permitted a slight grumble over the fact that the author doesn't have a website? Oh wait. "margaretronald.com" goes to her Wordpress weblog. Since there aren't a lot of reviews out there for this one, I may go for it.

Thanks, Mulluane, for all your great research!

7 comments:

Mulluane said...

No need for thanks, I enjoy doing it! Just wish there was more "traditional" fantasy so I can get excited too!

Tia Nevitt said...

Even so. I can't have you feeling unappreciated! Did you get an advance copy of Lamentation? I think you'd like that one.

Mulluane said...

Umm, no, was I supposed to?

sbp said...

Typically not into Urban Fantasy, but I just saw this on the bookshelf yesterday and it caught my eye.

Tia Nevitt said...

Mulluane: no, I just thought Tor might have sent you a copy.

sbp, I'm not into urban fantasy either, but this seems atypical of the genre.

Aubrey said...

Well thanks for the mention of our review over at MFA! Margaret is a hoot and so much fun to talk to. I'm glad you are featuring her novel!

Tia Nevitt said...

You're welcome! You have a very cool website!