Wednesday, August 29, 2007

The Princes of the Golden Cage - Two Brothers

I'm about 1/5th of the way through PRINCES OF THE GOLDEN CAGE by Nathalie Mallet. The story is moving along at a steady pace. Amir is beginning to get to know his mysterious half-brother, known only as Erik. Erik has this to say about one of their recently-deceased brothers:

"Hamed and I were more than brothers, we were friends."

And that characterizes the typical relationship between brothers in PRINCES. Brothers are not to be trusted, but friends are.

At this point, Erik, who has access to detailed maps of the labyrinthine palace, is taking Amir on a tour through all the forbidden places . . . now, while it is safe, before the Grand Vizier returns. They are supposed to be exiting the palace to go into the forbidden outer city itself, but I have not reached that point yet.

I have not read Arabian Nights, but this book might just inspire me to do so.

Graeme recently put up a review of PRINCES as well.

1 comment:

Tia Nevitt said...

Oops! I was mistaken. I thought they were going into the city, but instead they were going out of the cage . . . and into forbidden parts of the palace. I guess I'll have to wait for any forays into the city.