Wednesday, August 15, 2007

First Two Chapters of PLAGUE YEAR by Jeff Carlson

First of all, I must admit that PLAGUE YEAR by Jeff Carlson has turned out to be not my thing. I read the first two chapters last night, and I do see much that piques my interest. However, I guess I'm too prim for "pungent" sex scenes that tell me way more that I would want to know. I can do gritty up to a point. If you're curious, here are the chapters; I don't want to get into the details.

However, that scene aside, it was quite compelling. A very small group of refugees have taken refuge at the top of a mountain, where they are out of the range of a nano virus that swims below, an airborne ocean of death. One can take brief trips below, but not without suffering health problems and scarring afterward. Therefore, it shocks the camp when they spy the flashlight of someone actually trying to cross the valley. Way on the other side of the valley, they can see the fires of another group of refugees. However, their fire abruptly goes out. The group on this side of the valley lights their own fire and the traveler eventually makes it to their camp.

Why did he travel to the camp? I don't know. Chapter two ends shortly after his arrival. If you decide to read or review this, please let me know what you think.

No comments: