Wednesday, August 22, 2007

KING'S PROPERTY by Morgan Howell

I discovered KING'S PROPERTY (Canada, UK) on The Swivet, where La Gringa has an interesting post about mass market originals "getting no respect". It is the first novel in the Queen of the Orcs series by Morgan Howell. I was unable to find the author's website, and the link to the author page on the publisher's site is broken. If I find a good link, I will update this post. Here is the book description:

Born into hardship, Dar learns to rely on herself alone. When her family betrays her, Dar is conscripted into King Kregant’s army and its brutal campaign to conquer a neighboring country. Now she is bound as a slave to a dreaded regiment of orcs, creatures legendary for their savagery and battle prowess.

Rather than cower, Dar rises to the challenge. She learns the unique culture and language of the orcs, survives treachery from both allies and enemies, and struggles to understand a mystical gift that brings her dark, prophetic visions. As the war escalates–amid nightmarish combat and shattering loss–Dar must seize a single chance at freedom.

I found reviews by Scott Oden (an excellent new blog discovery for me!), and at Jive Magazine, which adds that Elizabeth Moon blurbed her. Come to think of it, the plot (what I know of it) reminds me a bit of Paksenarrion's Daughter. I found another review as well, but it didn't live up to my quality standards (bad grammar) so I'm not including it here. (I'm trying to do a better job vetting my linkage.)

Del Rey is releasing one book each month, so if you really enjoy it, you won't have to wait long to read the next book.

I have to admit that I enjoy books with a tight focus on a strong female character. Therefore, this book intrigues me. It also intrigues me that a man wrote it. If I can find more, I'll update this post.

UPDATE! Here is a link to the first chapter.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Our tastes are so similar it is scary. I emailed Del Rey yesterday asking for review copies of this series. It looks interesting and I want to read it!

Tia said...

I got an email from the editor today, and I think I'll take her up on her offer for a copy.

Scott Oden said...

It is quite good. I was leery at first (I like stories from the male perspective, as I am male), but Howell's tight prose and creative reinvention of Orcs won me over. I'll be back for more :)

Hey, who's this Ogden guy, anyway? ;)

Anonymous said...

It reminds me a bit of the Cast series by Michelle Sagara which also has a kick butt character conscripted into dealing with her special talents.

I'm looking forward to what you think of it.

Tia said...

Scott, whoever he is, he's on my blogroll. :)

Kim, now you've intrigued me about another author. So many authors, so little time.

clindsay said...

Just an FYI, it's DEL REY, not Del Ray. A pet peeve of mine from when I used to work there. :-) Everyone misspells it.

Also, I think Scott was trying to politely point out that you spelled his name wrong: it is Scott Oden, not Ogden.

Tia Nevitt said...

Yikes, two misspellings in one post. I'll have to edit them.

And yes, I've caught onto the fact that I'm mispelling "Del Rey". I don't think I will again, however.

Scott Oden said...

Yep, I'm Southern; we're not a blunt, forthright people ;)

Great blog, Tia! I've taken the liberty of adding you to my own blogroll.

Tia Nevitt said...

I didn't pick up on it at all . . . and I'm a southerner too!

Thank you and thank you!

Anonymous said...

I cannot believe you posted this book. I put it on my wish list two weeks ago. Before that I'd heard nothing about it. Cool.

Cat Rambo said...

Just finished this and was googling around to try to find the author's website -- really a fun, interesting story. Grabbing CLAN DAUGHTER tomorrow.

Tia Nevitt said...

Welcome!

I don't think the author has a website yet. I'm planning on asking the editor about it when I'm ready to feature this one. I've heard nothing but good things about it and I'm looking forward to reading it.