Monday, August 27, 2007

Back in Gear

My copy of THE PRINCES OF THE GOLDEN CAGE arrived today and it promises to be a fast read. I do apologize for letting such a huge gap of time pass by between The Hidden Worlds and Princes. But I have to admit . . . I've been reading a non-genre novel. In fact, it wasn't even written in this century. Yes, I've been sucked into Daphne du Marier's Rebecca, at the prompting of Mystery Robin.

I'm just past 3/4ths of the way through. After reading today's nail-biting suspense, it's nice to read a suspense novel that is a bit slower-paced. Also, I'm astonished at being 3/4ths of the way through, and I know who did it! But then again, I don't suppose you can call this a mystery. Or a romance. Or a suspense. However, it is a blend of all three.

The nice thing about it is that it does not demand that I keep reading (unlike some books I've read recently), therefore I'll be able to set it aside for a while so I can read Princes.

5 comments:

Katie said...

Rebecca has always been a favorite. I love the pace, it's perfect, it builds slowly until finally everything becomes clear. (even if you already have figured out who did it) It's very bittersweet.

Tia Nevitt said...

I tried reading it three times before I finally got into it.

Anonymous said...

You're right, Rebecca is a great book to read in conjunction with others. It's one of the books I read after reading many books influenced by it so it was fun to see how later takes adapted some of the ideas in this plot.

Tia Nevitt said...

Oh, yes. As I read it, I am reminded of authors who undoubtedly were influenced by this book.

Chris, The Book Swede said...

It's nice to see that I'm not the only one going off-genre lately! I'm currently reading books by Stephen Fry:

(Name mean anything to you? Please check him out. Comedian, intellectual and fantastic author, actor, director, TV presence in the UK, etc)

His autobiography and several of his novels, as well as his Ode Less Traveled (on reading poetry) are currently demanding my reading time :)

Chris
The Book Swede