Saturday, April 4, 2009

I Must Have It! Today!!

Check it out! Yes, it is what you think it is! A comic adaptation of Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice! It is part of Marvel Illustrated, where Marvel brings you classics such as The Man in the Iron Mask, The Wizard of Oz and The Portrait of Dorian Grey. The artist is the Rita award-winning Romance novelist Nancy Butler. She discusses it in this article.

This link has the first eight pages of the comic book, which take you all the way up to Darcy's Snubbing. It is true to the story, if a bit rushed. I like what I see of the art so far. The women aren't too sexy, which I was afraid of. In the cover art above, Lizzy is a dead ringer for Jennifer Ehle, the actress who played Lizzy in the 1995 A&E adaptation with Colin Firth. However, inside the comic book, Lizzy has her own look. Jane is especially elegant, and even Mary is pretty. I'm not terribly fond of Darcy's look here--he's a bit too modern.

I will go today in search of one. I will brave murky comic book shops if I must, but if Marvel did its distribution smart, it will be available in the comic/graphic novel section of bookstores. (BTW, best comic book shop ever? Atomic Comics is Mesa, Arizona.) If I can't find one, I will buy it here.

10 comments:

Pissenlit said...

*unintelligible babble*.....I believe I am horrified...

Anonymous said...

Oookay. I think I'll stick with the copy of Pride and Prejudice and Zombies that I picked up yesterday.

Tia Nevitt said...

Pissenlit, it is COMPLETELY absurd. Which makes it so fun. And Jane Austen appreciated a good absurdity. :)

Lianneb, no thanks. Be sure to let us know what you thought of it!

Pissenlit said...

I can't. I checked out the sample pages. I tried, really I did! I just can't. :)

Anne said...

{blink blink}

Now that's a different comic. Somehow I never expected that. {SMILE}

Anne Elizabeth Baldwin

Anonymous said...

I won't miss this. It's bound to be a collectible some day. And yes, it's all so absurd, the comic and Austen and Zombies. Who would have thought this 20 years ago!!!

All this puts me in mind of doing Jane Austen in another setting. Well, why not! laughing...

If I had time.

Tia Nevitt said...

Anne, I can just picture you blinking in stunned disbelief!

And Melinda, I cannot find it! The nearest comic book store is way out of my usual stomping ground. I may have to send the hubby out that way, also urging him to get some uber-masculine titles such as Wolverine and Iron Man to cancel out the hit to his testosterone at having to pick up this comic.

The Marvel subscription link doesn't work.

superwench83 said...

Oh my gosh!!! That is so cool! So completely weird and crazy that I must have it. Or at least read it. Is the Wizard of Oz one out yet? I really, REALLY have to have that one.

I'll have to tell my friend who's a high school English teacher about this. Seriously, if I were a high school English teacher, I'd have to use this comic book in conjunction with a reading of the novel.

Tia Nevitt said...

I feel the same way! Not so much for The Wizard of Oz, but I really want the P&P issue. So far, I haven't been able to find it, and I really think I'll have to brave comic book stores to get it.

That's a distribution mistake, in my opinion. It ought to be prominently displayed near the historical fiction or the romance aisles.

Anne said...

Stunned disbelief is just about right, Tia. {Smile}

If the dates on that article were closer to the beginning of April, I'd suspect a joke, but February and early March don't sound like April Fools {Smile}

Anne Elizabeth Baldwin