Thursday, April 9, 2009

Comment Word Verification Off

I turned off word verification for comments because since I had it on, I noticed a sharp decrease in comments. I like comments more than I hate comment spam, so I made the switch.

In order to combat comment spam, I am now moderating comments on posts more than 7 days old. I read somewhere that the spammers are just looking to boost their pageranks, so they target older posts, since the blog owner often can't be bothered to delete them.

I'll let any legit comment through, no matter how old it is.

6 comments:

Neil Richard said...

You're the boss.

Stephanie Leary said...

It's a shame that Blogger doesn't offer Akismet spam protection. It's an amazing service.

You know, I think this site fills an important niche. If you'd be interested in moving the site off Blogger, drop me a note. I'm a professional web designer, and I can easily host an extra domain on my account. I think moving the site would reduce your administrative headaches.

ediFanoB said...

To be honest word verification didn't hinder me to write comments. Just enter some letters. I don't know what to think about people who deny to write comments when word verification is on.
But as TK42ONE said, you're the boss.

Jo said...

Spammers are such a pain in the backside!

By the way, I've given you an award:

http://jo-scrawls.blogspot.com/2009/04/we-were-splishing-and-splashing.html

Anne said...

Whatever works for you. I don't have a problem with it either way. {Smile}

Anne Elizabeth Baldwin

Tia Nevitt said...

Stephanie, thanks for the offer! I've toyed with the idea of getting a domain, but it will not be for a simple redirect of my blog. If I get a domain, I will go whole-hog and create an entire website. It will probably have a different name, and will be something like an online magazine. But this project is well in the future.

Thank you, Jo!