Saturday, September 8, 2007

KING'S PROPERTY - Seriously Good

I'm going to gush about KING'S PROPERTY by Morgan Howell. It's that good. This novel is competing for my attention with Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, which I finally got a copy of, and it is winning.

I'm about three quarters of the way through. Dar has proven herself to be smart, protective, self-sacrificing and savvy. I enjoy stories that focus tightly on one character. Like The Deed of Paksenarrion, KING'S PROPERTY only occasionally leaves Dar's point of view. There are many similarities with the Deed; I can see why Elizabeth Moon blurbed this novel. Moon was able to make me shed actual tears over Paks. We will see of Howell can do the same.

There is a nail-biting conflict between Dar and one of her commanders, the Murdant Koh, which reminds me of the main conflict in another character-focused story, Clan of the Cave Bear. Like Ayla's conflict with Broud, Koh lives to torture Dar. However, Broud was not inherently evil; Koh is. He is willing to hurt others, even the very innocent, to get to Dar.

Like many novels I've read of late, the fantasy element -- except for fantastic creatures -- is slight. Only now is Dar starting to experience the visions alluded to in the cover blurb.

The orc society is extremely well thought-out. Dar is learning the orcish language and the reader is learning it along with Dar. Yet the language doesn't overwhelm the plot. When two orcs speak together, their speech even feels alien.

For a while, I thought that I found a flaw in the book. It appeared to me that too many humans, especially male humans, were absolute scum. However, he rectified this and now I am once again hard-pressed to find any flaws.

8 comments:

Jessica said...

Okay...I loved Paks...Even though there wasn't a romance wich often distracts me, I thought the Deeds were some of the best books! So now this will go on my to get list soon just because of this comparision.

Tia Nevitt said...

I'm glad to find another Deed lover! I've actually gone through two of the omnibus versions. I've read the series many times.

I've read even more of KING'S PROPERTY today and now that the army is on the move, I am reminded even more of Paks, especially when they get mired in the mud.

The comparison gets even stronger because Dar also has an aversion to men, but this one is because she was a victim of molestation.

Angela/SciFiChick said...

I love the cover.. and combined with your review so far, looks like I'll have to pick this one up!

Anonymous said...

I am going to have to bump this up on the reading list.

SQT said...

I've seen the first two in the series in the bookstore and have debated picking them up. Sounds like I should...

Tia Nevitt said...

I've finished the first book! I have the second one right here so I'll start it soon. I'll try to get up my final review for KING'S PROPERTY today.

Scott Oden said...

I picked up book 2 in the series this weekend and plan on starting it after I finish the third book in the Horus Heresy (Warhammer 40K) series. I've never read Deeds, so I might have to give that one a try, as well.

I still want more time on-page for the Orcs ;)

Tia Nevitt said...

This series should give you your fill. I'm seeing a lot of books with different takes on fantasy staples. I still need to read Goblin Quest.