Tuesday, September 11, 2007

CLAN DAUGHTER by Morgan Howell

In keeping with my plan of featuring the first two books in QUEEN OF THE ORCS as one, I am now moving on to CLAN DAUGHTER. I am now on chapter 3.

It begins right where it left off. The dead still litter the hillside where the battle took place in KING'S PROPERTY. Dar is on the run with five orcs. One is her friend, three think of her as some sort of mother-authority figure and one tried to kill her twice in the previous book. But they all still follow her -- for now.

I was pleased to see the return of a character that I thought was written out of the series at the end of the first book.

Dar has found herself the leader of her little band of orcs. She is in enemy territory, but she is no longer under the threat of beheading for being caught away from the army. So she's still in plenty of trouble.

I never commented on either covers, so I will do so now. I liked the cover of KING'S PROPERTY better. Her face was more indistinct and mysterious-seeming. With CLAN DAUGHTER, we can see her face clearly, and it is lacking the brand that should be on her forehead. I don't know if that was an omission on the artist's part of if it means that at some point in the future, her brand will somehow become healed.

No comments: