Wednesday, September 5, 2007

KING'S PROPERTY - First Half

I'm halfway through KING'S PROPERTY and I am enjoying this book a lot. I have to admit that I cannot think of a single critique. The novel starts tightly behind Dar's eyes, and remains there except for very brief glimpses of the two males in her life, the Murdant (a title similar to sergeant) Kol and the orc warrior Kovok-mah.

It begins with strangers on horseback visiting Dar's village. Strangers on horseback always mean trouble in her experience, and this is no exception. Dar must leave with them, for she has been sold into a dismal slavery, where she must serve the orc army for the rest of her life.

Dar spends some time crying, but not much. She soon realizes that the human camp-followers who tag along with the orc are the very worst that humanity has to offer, and that she can gain some level of protection among the orcs. She also gains some tentative friendship among her fellow female slaves. However, she comes to terms with something that none of her fellow humans manage to figure out: she is stuck with the orcs for the rest of her life. The brand on her forehead means that it is death for her to try to escape. Therefore, she makes the best of it by trying to learn orc ways.

She wins my admiration in her treatment of her fellow slaves, especially a pregnant one. The Murdant Kol is a rather chilling character. Kovok-mah, who befriends Dar, is fascinating.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I just came across this book yesterday at Borders and spent a while browsing it (well, actually I browsed the sequel first, then looked for this one). Although I wasn't quite hooked enough to buy it (hey, books are expensive), I really liked the way the orcs were presented. I wasn't as wowed by Dar, who, although plucky, struck me as less original.

Tia Nevitt said...

Welcome to Fantasy Debut! I'll write more about this book and the sequel in the upcoming days and maybe that will help you decide whether you want to buy it or not.

Robert said...

One day I'll get around to covering this book, but for now, I'll just have to be content with your coverage :)

Tia Nevitt said...

I hope it satisfied!