Monday, February 23, 2009

Tidbits, and an Author Catch-Up

This week, I have a One Year Later post for you--Adrian Phoenix! Plus, Adrian is going to run a contest, so be sure to check back on Thursday for that.

Thanks to everyone who entered my Discovery Showcase. I have written to the editor of The Self Publishing Review, and I will be doing an occasional column there, starting sometime this week. I'll link to it when the editor posts it.

Nathalie Mallet just announced on her blog that her next novel, The King's Daughters, finally has a release date! Since it was supposed to come out in December, some of us have been waiting around a while for it! Her first novel, The Princes of the Golden Cage, was a very quick and fun read, that took place in a truly original setting.

Jo Graham, author of Black Ships, recently got a starred review from Publishers Weekly for her next novel, The Hand of Isis. Congratulations, Jo!

Alex Bledsoe is another one of those awesome authors who blog about mixed reviews. He did find one gem in it, but otherwise, this review of his next novel, Blood Groove, really is a wincer. It appears to have hit the reviewer's hot buttons. His previous novel, The Sword-Edged Blonde, got a starred review from PW, so he now has gotten both ends of the spectrum. I, for one, cannot wait for the sequel, Burn Me Deadly.

Laura Benedict's novels are part of Target's Bookmarked promotion! She is having a mysterious photo contest, and everyone who enters wins a small but cool prize. But you'd better watch out for the camera police! Actually, you don't have to take a picture. Pop on over to this post for the details.

David J. Williams would like to remind you that his novel, Mirrored Heavens, is eligible for both the Hugo and Campbell Awards. He also graciously throws in his recommendations of novels besides his.

~*~

I thought of another post to expand on my Blogging Advice for New Authors. That post explained how to attract readers. This next post will be how to keep readers. In it, I'll discuss--without naming names--what has driven me away from following certain blogs. I'll try to get that up on Wednesday. I will also incorporate some of the suggestions from the comments of the original post.

11 comments:

Kimber Li said...

Awesome news on Nathalie Mallet! My fingers have been getting tired from drumming on the mailbox, waiting for my ARC. Her debut novel was my favorite, you know.
;)

David Constantine said...

Actually, I *didn't* want to remind anybody about my eligibility for anything! My agent #$# forced me to. I guess as an author I need to get used to Shameless Self-Promotion, but for me it's still Somewhat Shameful.

but thanks for the mention! (he said shamelessly) : )

Tia Nevitt said...

David, it was so funny I just had to link it. I hope you don't mind!!

Janet said...

Really looking forward to that last one!

Tia Nevitt said...

Cool! I have a rough draft and I want to post it on Wednesday.

Nathalie Mallet said...

Thanks for spreading the news about The King’s Daughters’ new release date, Tia. You’re a real gem. Copies of the novel will be sent to you and Kimber An as soon as they become available, which shouldn’t be too long now. :)

Kimber An, I apologize for the delay, and thank you so, so much for your patience and support.

Tia Nevitt said...

Thanks, Nathalie! I really look forward to it!

Kimber Li said...

Oh, that's okay, Nathalie. Just think of me as an over-eager labrador ready to snatch treats out of the authors', uh, I mean, humans hands as soon as they get the box out. Gosh, I'd love to have a reader/reviewer like me one day. (((sigh)))

Tia, great idea about expanding on the Blogging Advice for New Authors post. I'm astonished how often I sense hostility from authors directed at readers. In this economy, an author simply cannot afford to be cranky.

Unless he's Stephen King.

Anne said...

I'm looking forward to the how-to-keep-readers post. For now my only blog is a bit too personal for that to be amajor concern, but it sounds like a very good thing to keep in mind "in case." {SMILE}

Anne Elizabeth Baldwin

Tia Nevitt said...

Thanks for all the interest in the blogging advice post. I've already written it, but my blog schedule (guest post, Discovery showcase, etc.) won't permit me to post it before Monday.

Anne said...

Then I'll look forward to Monday. {SMILE}

Anne Elizabeth Baldwin