Friday, July 6, 2007

Debut News

Debuting this week is The Wanderer's Tale by David Bilsborough. The author does not keep a website. This is the first book that I've seen since I started this site that has gotten poor reviews. You can read reviews at SFFWorld, Pat's Fantasy Hotlist, and Publisher's Weekly (scroll down). There is a positive review forthcoming at Fantasy BookSpot, so I'll keep my eye open for that.

I have already announced Melissa Marr's Wicked Lovely, so I was ahead of Locus Magazine's Monitor announcement this week. It is currently number 3 on the NYT Children's Chapter Books bestseller list. It also has great reviews everywhere, such as the Washington Post, Powell's Books and Dear Author, which includes a parental warning. It's great to see a debut author attracting so much attention.

I have not yet announced Phaedra Weldon's Wraith, which actually came out on June 5th -- just before I started this site. This author apparently does not have a website, either. Wraith is about an out-of-body snoop who spies on the wrong person one night, when he is actually able to touch her -- and leave his brand upon her. I will definitely consider it for a review. In the meantime, there is an an interview at Penguin. I have not found many reviews for it, but I will keep looking.

In my last Debut News, I gave a brief mention of Acacia by David Anthony Durham, and I've since decided to feature it. It is getting a lot of positive attention in places like SFFWorld and Fantasy BookSpot, plus there is a long interview at Pat's Fantasy Hotlist.

I also have not made much mention of Lane Robins's Maledicte. If she has a website, I cannot find it, which makes her the third author mentioned in this article without a website. Is this a new trend? I hope not, since I enjoy reading author's websites. Anyway, I found reviews at and Fantasy Book Critic, and there is a sample chapter at DelRey Online.

Does anyone else know of any upcoming debuts by major publishers that I may have missed?

UPDATE! That positive review of The Wanderer's Tale is now available at Fantasy BookSpot.


Kimber An said...

Whoa! You're a busy girl.

Tia Nevitt said...

It took a few hours to compile. That's why I only do this once a week.

John Dent said...

Aidan Moher and I both have reviews of Acacia available on our sites.
Aidan also has an interview with David posted, and to be quite honest I find it far more readable than the one on Pat's Fantasy Hotlist.
Why not check out David's forum where he sometimes hangs around to answer questions?

Tia Nevitt said...

I'm looking forward to reading Acacia. And actually, David's blog is where I first encountered you. Now I just need to get it on my Google Reader.

Tia Nevitt said...

Oops; I was wrong. I found his blog but not his forum. Thanks!

La Gringa said...

HI Tia -

David does indeed have a website:

From there you can access his blog and the forum, as well as excerpts of all his other books.

Colleen (David's publicist)

Tia Nevitt said...

I was actually looking for David Bilsborough's website. However, you have reminded me to put up a link to David Anthony Durham's website on my blogroll, which I will do tonight.

Anonymous said...

Lane Robins does have a website at