Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Debut Showcase: Eve: A Novel of the First Woman by Elissa Elliott

Eve: A Novel of the First Woman (US - Canada - UK)
By Elissa Elliott (Website, Blog)
Publisher: Delacorte Press (January 27, 2009)
Hardcover: 432 pages
Excerpt

Publisher's Blurb:

In their world they are alone…a family haunted by banishment, struggling for survival in a harsh new land. A woman who has borne and buried children, Eve sees danger shadowing those she loves, while her husband drifts further and further from the man he was in the Garden, blinded by his need to rebuild a life outside of Eden. One daughter, alluring, self-absorbed Naava, turns away from their beliefs. Another, crippled, ever-faithful Aya, harbors a fateful secret, while brothers Cain and Abel become adversaries, and Dara, the youngest, is chosen for a fate of her own.

In one hot, violent summer, by the shores of the muddy Euphrates, strangers arrive on their land. New gods challenge their own. And for Eve, a time of reckoning is at hand. The woman who once tasted the forbidden fruit of paradise sees her family unraveling—as brother turns on brother, culminating in a confrontation that will have far-reaching consequences for them all.

Mulluane's Take:

This is a retelling of the story of Adam and Eve as told from the viewpoint of Eve and her daughters. A very interesting idea and one I admire Elissa Elliott for taking on.


When I first heard about this book I just knew it would create a controversy. So, kind of like how you just have to look at a car wreck as you pass it, even though you are afraid of what you might see, I went looking to see how the reviews were shaping up on the ARCs. I was not surprised when I ran across this review, where, sadly, they pick the story (and the author) to pieces. (Granted the author was the one who sent them a copy but still...) Much to my delight, if you read the comments, an ARC was also sent to a 90 year old rabbi who added his thoughts and to further my delight, one of the commenters actually recommended that you read it for what it is, a novel containing a good story, and forget about comparing it verbatim to the biblical version.


Personally, I am adding this to my wish list, the premise intrigues me, I love well researched historical fiction, and it sounds like it may be a very interesting story.

Tia's Take:
I'm about to take on a Bible reading plan, so I'd be more interested in reading books like this once I am finished. If Mulluane wants to review it here, I'd be happy to acommodate her. It does sound fascinating and certainly within my interests.

2 comments:

LoopdiLou said...

Maybe this will do for Eve what Mists of Avalon did for Morgan Le Fay- I admit I'm intrigued!

Tia Nevitt said...

I never read Mists of Avalon. T.H. White did interesting things with Morgan--or "Morgana," I think--as well. Was Morgan the point of view character in Mists?