Sunday, November 23, 2008

Upcoming

I meant to write my review of Grimspace today, but I was working on a self-imposed deadline for another project, plus I've gotten all caught up in Laura Benedict's upcoming novel, Calling Mr. Lonely Hearts, which is absolutely spellbinding and unputdownable. I also did something rather stupid--I returned Grimspace to the library before I wrote the review. Duh! I've never had to write a review without the book right in front of me. But I finished reading it just before it was due and never even thought to renew it, which I can easily do from the comfort of my computer. And I borrowed it from another branch--meaning it will take days to re-check-out. I'll have to do the best I can.

I'm arranging for another batch of authors to ask to write guest posts. I may go a bit further back in time than one year, because some of my really interesting authors were my very first ones, whose books came out in the summer of '07. One who I just emailed had a novel that came out within a few weeks of Harry Potter 7, which had to be nerve-wracking competition! Or does it work that way? I usually come out of the bookstore with more than one book, after all.

Since this Thursday is Thanksgiving, I won't plan anything for then, but hopefully I can arrange a guest post for next Thursday.

The New and Improved Debut Showcases will start on Tuesday. One is actually all ready to go, but it was too late in the day to put up such a post today, and on Monday I have high hopes of getting my Grimspace review up.

New and improved how, you ask? Well, in the spirit of The Book Smugglers' joint reviews, both Mulluane and I will comment on each debut. Our tastes do run rather similar, but they are not perfectly so, so it will be a good thing--I think--for you to read more than one opinion on each debut.

Since my Grittiness Tolerance Level is now in the green (I expected Grimspace to be grittier than it turned out to be), I may try to finish a novel from the summer that I had set aside. I am a bit curious about how it ended. The one with the eyeballs popping out is going to have to wait a bit longer.

After that, maybe I'll try something warm and sentimental to get me in the mood for the holidays.

No comments: