Monday, November 17, 2008

Loving Grimspace!

I'm enjoying Grimspace so much that I'm going to spend another evening reading it. I'm a little over halfway through and it has taken some very unexpected turns. Let's just say that you would never expect some of the things to happen. I certainly didn't see them coming.

It was suffering from a lack of a villain until about halfway through. The villain was the amorphous "Corp," a bureaucracy that Jax worked for, navigating through Grimspace. Now, there's another one, but he's the best kind of villain--the kind you actually like.

There's lots of unexpected humor in the story when an alien baby appears on the scene.

Belatedly I notice his eyes aren't on mine, and I glance down. Shit, I'm standing around bare-breasted, nursing like some class-P village woman, my scars shiny with slime. Rest of me is covered in dried mud, and my hair looks like it belongs to a New Terran dirt-dauber priestess, so yeah, I've never looked better. But frag him, what do I care? I'm doing a good thing here.
Yes, this book has soul. It has bona-fide heroism packaged in a scarred-up gruff exterior (kind of like the way I enjoyed The Sword-Edged Blonde, only with a female main character), and I'm eating it up. So if you don't mind, I'll go read some more.

4 comments:

Joely Sue Burkhart said...

The heroism failed for me around the last 1/3 in a big way, but I did enjoy the voice and the world. I'll be interested to see if the book holds up for you.

Tia Nevitt said...

Actually, I eat that stuff up!

I did finish the book last night. I probably won't get a review up tonight, though. Maybe tomorrow or Sunday.

Joely Sue Burkhart said...

Don't get me wrong--I love heroism--I adore the hero's journey. For me, there was one major scene where Jax did not act in a very heroic way and that broke the entire journey for me.

Tia Nevitt said...

Oh, yes! Now I understand your original remark. I know which scene you mean. That was a real head-scratcher. I was going to remark on it in my review.