Saturday, April 19, 2008

Random Updates

I'm back from a rather tough week with some sad events at home. Our little kitty died. She had developed renal failure due to her advanced old age. We got her in 1990 as a young adult cat, so we aren't sure how old she was. (She was a pound kitty.)

I did get caught up on some reading. (Do you turn to books during sad times?) I finished Griffin's Daughter while Raven was blogging last week, and I'll put up my review in the next few days. This week, I got 3/4th of the way through Mad Kestrel.

Next week, I'll be doing something a bit different. Rather than a Featured Debut, I'll have a Featured Author. Lisa Shearin, the author of my very first Featured Debut, has her second book come out on April 29th. During the week leading up to it, I'll revisit her first novel, Magic Lost, Trouble Found, and on Release Day I'll put up a post on her second novel, Armed and Magical. In between, I'll do other fun things. Don't expect impartial reviews--I like Lisa entirely too much to be able to look on her work with an unbiased eye.

After that, I am going to purchase The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss, which recently came out in paperback. During my recent post on character development novels, it came up as an good example of such a novel, and I feel quite remiss that I have not read it yet.

Speaking of old posts, I came across a post via Sandra McDonald's blog entitled, How to Kill Off a Sense of Wonder. I found it interesting, but I still kind of enjoy the mundane presented as commonplace. For me, there is a sense of wonder in that, but I can understand how it can get old if you read a lot of the same sort of books. That's why I like to shake things up and randomize the subgenres that I read.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear about your kitty. I know how it is to lose a pet.

Kimberly Swan said...

Hi Tia - Sorry to hear that your kitty has passed away. :(

Anonymous said...

Sorry about your cat. I still miss my favorite cat sometimes, and she died about seven years ago.

Tia Nevitt said...

Thanks, everyone.

Kimber Li said...

Condolences again on your kitty-cat.

Oh, I'm always impartial with my reviews, Tia. Not!

Don't forget Lisa's Cyber-Launch Book Party at enduringromance.blogspot.com on Thursday, April 24th. Be there and watch out for goblins!

Carole McDonnell said...

I am so sorry about your kitty. Ours died last year after living with us about 18 years. One day some months later we were talking about her and I just burst into tears. So I understand.

Tia Nevitt said...

I wouldn't forget the cyber-launch, Kimber. In fact, I'll be sure to announce it here!

Carole, that's about how long we had our kitty! It's amazing how long a cat can live. It's hard to not do our nightly feeding ritual.

Robert said...

Very sorry to hear about your cat Tia. Eighteen years is a long time and it's never easy to lose a pet that's part of your family...