Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Personal Demons by Stacia Kane

Personal Demons (Amazon UK)
by Stacia Kane (aka December Quinn) (blog)
Juno Books
Mass Market Paperback
Excerpt

Blurb:
Megan promises listeners to her new radio call-in show that she'll "slay their personal demons," and they believe her. So do the personal demons. Although she doesn't know it, Megan is the only human without a personal demon on her shoulder. This, coupled with her psychic abilities, makes her a valuable weapon for any demon "family" that can gain her allegiance. It also makes her a serious threat -- not just to the personal demons, but to a soul-sucker known as The Accuser who has an old score to settle. Megan and her allies -- a demon lover who both protects and seduces her with devilish intensity, a witch with poor social skills, and three cockney guard demons -- have to deal not only The Accuser, the personal demons, and the ghosts of Megan's past, but a reporter who threatens to destroy Megan's career.

I knew it! I knew I first read about this novel on Miss Snark's last hook contest! Here's the hook! And here's the opening that Miss Snark critiqued. It worked for Miss Snark and apparently it worked for Paula Guran of Juno Books as well. It's fabulous to see an author from that contest do well. I was also delighted to find that this author is someone else I know of from Absolute Write. She has published in other genres as December Quinn, and as far as I can tell, this is her first mainstream fantasy. This cover is a new look for Juno Books, and I find it quite effective. Scooper did a review of it last month and she really enjoyed it.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh! I recognized this from Miss Snark, too! So, so cool! This is the first time I've seen something from a blog critique get published, and it's just so amazing! Hey, look! All my sentences end in exclamation points!

Tia Nevitt said...

I think this is the only hook I would have remembered. I certainly can't remember any others.

Now that you mention it, I was using a lot of exclamation points as well!

Anonymous said...

Lol, you had to go and link to that first, barely-edited opening attempt, didn't you?

Thanks for the mention! :-)

Kimberly Swan said...

This is one I wanted to read as soon as I saw that cover. lol

Tia Nevitt said...

Hope you don't mind, Stacia! I thought it was pretty good!

Stacia said...

Of course I don't mind! :-)