Thursday, September 6, 2007

THE BLADE ITSELF by Joe Abercrombie

Normally I wait a few days to let links accumulate before announcing a debut. My goal is not to be the first, but the most comprehensive. Well, there is no need to wait before announcing THE BLADE ITSELF (Canada, UK) by Joe Abercrombie which releases today (Pyr), because this book has generated a lot of buzz. I even got in on the excitement when I put up a post on the opening chapters back in August. Here is the blurb:

"The blade itself incites to deeds of violence." Homer

Logen Ninefingers, infamous barbarian, has finally run out of luck. Caught up in one feud too many, he's on the verge of becoming a dead barbarian, leaving nothing behind but some bad songs, a few dead friends, and a lot of happy enemies.

Nobleman, dashing officer, and paragon of selfishness, Captain Jezal dan Luthar has nothing more dangerous in mind than fleecing his friends as cards and dreaming of glory in the fencing circle. But war is brewing, and on the battlefields of the frozen North they fight by altogether bloodier rules.

Inquisitor Glokta, cripple turned torturer, would like nothing better than to see Jezal come home in a jar. But then Glokta hates everyone: cutting treason out of the Union one confession at a time leaves little room for friendships. His latest trail of corpses may lead him right to the rotten heart of government... if he can stay alive long enough to follow it.

Murderous conspiracies rise to the surface, old scores are ready to be settled, and the line between hero and villain is sharp enough to draw blood. Unpredictable, compelling, wickedly funny, and packed with unforgettable characters, The Blade Itself is fantasy with a real cutting edge.

Joe Abercrombie has a well-put-together website which includes (of course) a lively blog, an amusing bio (he's a young pup!) and the other usual stuff.

Many of my fellow bloggers have already reviewed this book, such as the Bookie Monster, the Gravel Pit, the Fantasy Hotlist, A Dribble of Ink and the Wertzone (hope that's everyone), plus Fantasy Book Critic is reading it now. Don't even get me started on the bloggers that I don't know who are reviewing it! Other reviews include SFFWorld, SF Site, BBT Magazine, Strange Horizons and lots more. Interviews include A Dribble of Ink and the Fantasy Hotlist and probably a lot more.

What this all comes down to is that Joe Abercrombie (at last! I can spell his name!) probably does not need the coverage that my blog can provide. But what the heck. I'll probably feature it anyway. How can I resist? Everyone I know has read it and I want in on the fun. It has the added advantages of 1) not being too expensive and 2) being written by a friendly author. So unless I change my mind, look for it in the coming weeks.

5 comments:

Gav's Studio said...

All opinions count and yours is no less worthy.

Strangely I have quite a few of the hot fantasy debuts of last year and this one on the shelves (Scar Night, Scott Lynch, Vellium, Innocent Mage) but not this one.

Tia Nevitt said...

It sounds like you were busy! You can't be expected to read them all!

Gav's Studio said...

Oh I've not read them yet...they're just on the self! My TBR pile is very very scary!

SQT said...

I don't have this one either but I know I'll end up picking it up. I have way too much on the to-do list already, but sometimes I just can't resist.

Tia Nevitt said...

I know what you mean!