Wednesday, December 12, 2007

What is UP with Google?

First, Google arbitrarily turns off the ability for blog commenters to input their URL when they (1) don't feel like logging in, or (2) they don't particularly like Blogger's profile page, or (3) they maintain blogs elsewhere. I managed to find a way around that, and I plan to put up a post on how to set up that in the very near future (hopefully tonight).

Now, my Google reader is acting decidedly wonky. (Yes, that is a technical term. I've spent 11 years in IT, so I know.) The sidebar now superimposes itself over the rest of the page when you click on it. It's either a bug or a hideous new feature, and it's been that way since last night. If you actually try to use the thing, it makes your browser crash (which has happened every time, today).

What's up? Now I'm not only considering fleeing to WordPress, but I'm considering switching to another feed reader such as Bloglines. This blog is supposed to be about fantasy debuts, for crying out loud, not about problems with Google. One gets the impression that Google is spending so much time acquiring companies and slapping the Google name on them that they are not paying much attention to things that matter to customers.

Until I get set up elsewhere (or Reader gets fixed) I guess I'll catch up on everyone's blogs the old fashioned way.

Rant over. Thanks for listening.

9 comments:

John Ottinger III (Grasping for the Wind) said...

My Google reader is working just fine. You might want to talk to Google.

Carole McDonnell said...

I noticed they started getting weird with gmail about two weeks ago. When I try to copy anything sent to my gmail account, my entire computer stops for about fifteen seconds. But I haven't been checking any other google bits so I don't know. -C

Tia Nevitt said...

Maybe it is just Firefox-unfriendly. Except Google has always been supportive of Firefox. It is behaving exactly the same on my IE6 at work. I rarely use IE7; I guess I should try it.

Susan Helene Gottfried said...

I'm using Firefox, too, and my reader's just fine. On both computers, in fact.

The whole thing's weird. Just... you're right. Wonky. (The Tour Manager, in real life, is a hardware engineer. We know that word well.)

Unknown said...

I'm using Firefox too. Reader is working perfectly and I've had no problems with Blogger. That's really strange. I wonder what's going on. You might want to throw an email at the Google people, because maybe you have a virus or something.

Tia Nevitt said...

My husband is having no trouble either. I think this started when I clicked on something that was in one of the Google blogs -- some sort of experimental feature with Google Reader. Ugh! And Undo button would be nice . . .

Thanks, everyone!

Anonymous said...

My Google reader seems slow but otherwise is working okay. I'm using Firefox with all the latest updates.

Tia Nevitt said...

One of those "keyboard shortcuts" was the culprit. So yes, it was a feature, and a rather awful one at that. Everything is back to normal!

Robert said...

This has nothing to do with the post, but I'm taking a little break from Fantasy Book Critic for a couple of weeks so I just wanted to wish you Happy Holidays and a Happy New Year!!!