Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Taking up Fantasy Occupations

Mulluane gave me an idea for a post when she speculated that she is thinking of taking up fencing. I immediately replied to her comment, indicating that Lisa Shearin is a fencer. That got me to thinking about the tendency for some fantasy fans to take up fantasy occupations.

An entire cottage industry has sprung up around this. That's why we have Renaissance Fairs. You can buy swords and armor from enthusiasts who make such items using authentic methods. Back in Arizona, there was a group called the Local Yokels, who specialized in making peasant clothing and houses using authentic methods. Others go for more elaborate costuming. As for myself, I've been a calligraphic artist since 1985 (although you could not mistake my text for medieval text). And I didn't read fantasy when I learned calligraphy. Still, I have a fantasy skill.

Has your love of fantasy extended to your hobbies? If so, what is your speciality? If not, which fantasy hobby would you like to take up?

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

I would love to do broadsword and quarterstaff training, that would be cool. :-)

Tia Nevitt said...

I wanted to take fencing when I was going to college, but the class time conflicted with my schedule. So I ended up lifting weights for a summer, which was fun as well.

Anonymous said...

I work at a Renaissance festival. I also attend a Viking festival every year. And I dabble in Celtic art--knotwork, spirals, stylized initials, things like that.

Tia Nevitt said...

Ooh, a Celtic knot would look great incorporated with my calligraphy. And illuminated in gold.

Sara J. said...

I used to do aikido, which was awesome in terms of the sword & staff training (also awesome to fly through the air and land without being hurt). I was briefly interested in fencing, but personally I find foils a little, umm, impractical. I've been tempted to take up archery, but so far it remains fantasy ;)

Kimber Li said...

Absolutely! I got interested in costume and jewelry making because of the Lord of the Rings and Star Wars prequel movies. I love it and this Fall I might actually have time to work on projects.
;)

Tia Nevitt said...

I've done some costumes too--including one inspired by the Local Yokels--but that was about ten-fifteen years ago. I still have three costumes, I think.

Maria said...

Quite possibly a little weirder--I learned to make soup and also lotions using various herbs, which all started because of some research I was doing for a WIP...to this day I mix my own lotion. I do melt and pour soap on occasion also.

It's one of those things where you read about something, you get curious and before you know it, you're down a rabbit trail. Then when you're writing about it, you go down more rabbit trails, learn more and you may never find your way home again!!!

Tia Nevitt said...

Now that is truly unique! FYI everyone--Maria also makes cosmetics. Her blog has all the details.

Maria said...

That's what I mean about rabbit trails!!!

It all started when I was a teen...all I wanted to be was a ninja...and somehow I ended up looking into soap making...that turned into mineral make-up...you just never know where you're going to end up!!!!