Monday, February 25, 2008

Birmingham, 35 Miles by James Braziel

BIRMINGHAM, 35 MILES (Amazon USA, UK, Canada)
by James Braziel
Bantam
Trade Paperback
Excerpt

Blurb:

When the ozone layer opened and the sun relentlessly scorched the land, there was nothing left but to hope. Mathew Harrison had always heard of a better life as close as Birmingham, only thirty-five miles away—zones of blue sky, wet grass, and clean breathable air. But to him it’s a myth, a place guarded by soldiers, off limits to all but the lucky few. Meanwhile Mat works alongside his father, mining only the red clay that the once fertile Alabama soil can offer.

Now, with the killing deserts on the move again and the woman he loves on a Greyhound heading north, Mat has a travel visa and every reason to leave. But his roots in this lifeless soil inexplicably hold him firmly to the past. Torn between hope and resignation, with time running out, Mat must make a fateful choice between a new life and the one that isn’t ready to let him go.

This debut releases tomorrow. I wasn't able to find a website for this author. If I find one, I'll update this post. I enjoy post-apocalyptic novels, and the idea of an off-limits paradise in the midst of a wasteland intrigues me. I do believe I will read the excerpt.

4 comments:

Carole McDonnell said...

oooh, this sounds really good. I love post-apocalyptical stories either. Some anarchic streak, i think. -C

Anonymous said...

I need to know more. Why can't he leave? Based on the blurb it doesn't sound like he's got much holding him back. I guess I should read the excerpt. :)

Tia Nevitt said...

I agree, Raven. The blurb may be trying to say a bit too much. I was hooked when I read about the secret enclave . . . and that he was locked out, had a ticket in, but had reasons to stay out.

Anonymous said...

I finished the book today. Fantastic story, but I'm biased being both from Alabama and a fan of post-apocalyptic stories.