Thursday, September 3, 2009

Debut Showcase: Rosemary and Rue


Rosemary and Rue (Amazon USA - UK - Canada)
by Seanan McGuire
DAW
Mass Market Paperback
$7.99

The world of Faerie never disappeared: it merely went into hiding, continuing to exist parallel to our own. Secrecy is the key to Faerie's survival—but no secret can be kept forever, and when the fae and mortal worlds collide, changelings are born. Half-human, half-fae, outsiders from birth, these second-class children of Faerie spend their lives fighting for the respect of their immortal relations. Or, in the case of October "Toby" Daye, rejecting it completely. After getting burned by both sides of her heritage, Toby has denied the fae world, retreating into a "normal" life. Unfortunately for her, Faerie has other ideas.

The murder of Countess Evening Winterrose, one of the secret regents of the San Francisco Bay Area, pulls Toby back into the fae world. Unable to resist Evening's dying curse, which binds her to investigate, Toby is forced to resume her old position as knight errant to the Duke of Shadowed Hills and begin renewing old alliances that may prove her only hope of solving the mystery...before the curse catches up with her.

Dang. An urban fantasy that hits none of my many red flags. This one looks good. I might have to try it. The author also writes as Mira Grant, but it doesn't appear as if the books under that name have been released yet. She is also a singer and a songwriter.

10 comments:

suzie townsend said...

I just got a copy of this and it looks great!

Unknown said...

My first book as Mira comes out in May of next year. Feed is all done, it just needs to become, y'know, a printed book.

Thanks for the lack of red flagging me!

Tia Nevitt said...

Thanks for the additional details, Seanan! And it's a rare urban fantasy that hits none of my red flags, so congratulations! Too many novels sound alike these days.

Kimber Li said...

It does sound interesting and I'm trying to remember the lesson I learned reading AMAZON INK. 'Don't judge a book by its cover.' The cover art here says it's just another stereotypical Urban Fantasy. I'd appreciate one of yous reading it and telling me how wrong I am.

Raven said...

It does sound fun. I'm also working on a piece of parallel world fiction, hopefully not too similar.

sbp said...

I'm picky about Urban Fantasies, but this one caught my eye and is on the list of possible buys.

rance said...

October, that is a beautiful name. I don't usually read urban fantasy, but this one sounds like it could be interesting. Goes on my `maybe' list.

rance said...

Oops. Got on my brother's google account. Sorry that was a comment from Chicory. (I'll sign out of his account, but I wanted to leave a note first, incase I have trouble getting back on. Computers hate me.)

Janet said...

I beg to differ. This is not a stereotypical urban fantasy cover. The protagonist is fully dressed and doesn't have any visible tattoos. ;o)

Tia Nevitt said...

I knew I recognized the artist's style! It's a Chris McGrath cover. Here's the link to the illustration at his site.

Rosemary and Rue

He does do a lot of Urban Fantasy covers--I believe he is much in demand--but his covers don't seem to feature prominent tattoos.